08 Days Markha Valley Trek
MARKHA VALLEY TREK
Max Altitude: 5130m
Tour Code: IND-MV-08
Date: 08 Jul – 15 Jul 2022, 22 July – 29 July 2022, 06 Aug – 13 Aug 2022, 03 Sep – 10 Sep 2022
One of the most popular treks in Ladakh – it is a perfect combination of beautiful trans-himalayan landscape with ladakhi villages. There are good chances to spot some high altitude wildlife as well as experience the life of nomadic families as they herd their yaks in these big and beautiful valleys. After couple of days of acclimatisation to high altitude in Leh you will set out to explore the heartland of the central Ladakh Valley. It involves crossing of high passes – Stok La 4848 mts, Kongmaru La 5274 mts, Gandla 4878 mts and walking on the banks of the Markha River. Kang Yatse peak (6400m) can be approached from this route as the base camp is on the plains of Nimaling.
MARKHA VALLEY TREK
Day 01– Fly Delhi – Leh (3500m)
Arrive Leh airport, transfer to hotel. Relax and acclimatise. Visit Leh market in the evening. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02– In Leh (3500m)
Visit the famous monasteries of Shey & Thiksey. Overnight at hotel.
Day 03- Drive Leh to Skiu (3400m) – takes around 3hrs & trek to Sara (3500m) – 4 – 5hrs
This is one of the most spectacular drives in Ladakh, from Leh we start driving down on the Srinagar Leh Highway, crossing the famous Magnetic Hill and Patthar Sahib Gurudwara on the way to the confluence of Indus and Zanskar. From the Confluence we take the road going into the Zanskar Gorge to reach a small village called Skiu, starting point of our trek. The trail goes through a flat and desolate plain along the river Markha and swings into the mountains along the pretty, willow-lined small settlements. We stop in between for lunch & then we continue our walk to Sara, our destination for the night. Great camping place next to homestay. Overnight Camp.
Day 04- Trek Sara to Markha (3700m) – 4-5hrs
The trail to Markha is gentle with crossings Chortens, Prayer walls & Markha river but the trail seems long mainly due to sun exposure – today the altitude gain is hardly 200m across 12km of trek, crossing the Markha river a couple of times. Markha is a substantial village, complete with a derelict fort on the hillside and a small village monastery. Overnight Camp.
Day 05- Trek Markha to Thachungtse (4150m) – 4-5hrs
Kang Yatse (6400m), a magnificent snow-clad mountain commands the views for the next two days. On the walk there are sights of some fascinating geological creations of large boulders balanced precariously on top of consolidated earth spikes. Continue down over a bridge to Thachungtse, a lovely valley to camp in. A popular place to spot herds of blue sheep slide up and down the steep cliffs with incredible agility. Overnight Camp.
Day 06- Trek Thachungtse to Nimaling (4720m) – 3-4hrs
You pass several mani (stones with prayer inscriptions) walls and suddenly come across a small lake. The view is wonderful from here – both of Kang Yatse, whose bulk gets reflected in the still waters of the lake, and also of the Markha Valley which we are now well above. Overnight Camp.
Day 07- Trek Nimaling to Chogdo over the Kongmaru La (5130m) – 6-7hrs & drive to Leh – 2hrs
We pack our camping equipment and proceed to the grazing grounds of Nimaling. From there it is a gradual ascent to Kongmaru La pass at 5260m with prayer flags fluttering. Beautiful views all round from the pass. We descend steeply at first before it becomes gradually as we reach the stream. A little ahead from there is Chuskirmo with chortens and a small shop. We walk a little further down and get into vehicles to drive to Leh. Overnight at Hotel
Day 08- Fly Leh – Delhi
Early morning transfer to airport for Leh-Delhi flight.
Kindly note that we and the local guide reserve the rights to make decision, in your best interests or in the best interests of the group participating in the trek. In the event of cancellation of activity beyond our control such as adverse weather conditions and other similar conditions that compromises the safety of your group and the guide, no form of compensation will be given.
LAND Price per person in SGD: $ 1060
Tour Code: IND-MV-08
Price is subjected to changes without prior notice
1. Single Room in Leh during the trip can be booked at an additional cost of $ 200.
2. Single Tent for all camping nights can be arranged at an additional cost of $ 90.
3. Personal Porter to carry your day-pack during the trek can be arranged at $ 130.
A deposit of S$ 500 per person is required upon confirmation and the balance must be paid in full 30 days prior to the departure date. Non-payment by required date may result in the cancellation of your booking and subjected to cancellation charges.
Airfare: SIN-Leh-SIN: From S$ 850 including taxes
LAND Price includes
- Twin Share accommodation for 3 nights at ‘A” category hotels in Leh
- Twin Share accommodation in tents with foam sleeping pads for 4 nights on the mountain
- All meals on the trip
- Monastery Entry fees, Camping fees
- Full board camping arrangements on the mountain with a large mess tent, tables & stools
- Local Trip Leader assisted by certified, experienced, English-speaking guides
- Mules for porterage of personal and group luggage
- All Transport as per the itinerary above
- Includes local Service tax & Clean India Cess
- Briefing prior departure
- 15% discount for gears at X-Boundaries
- All airfare & taxes
- Personal gears such as sleeping bag
- Expenses of a personal nature like laundry, phone calls, alcohol, beverages, cigarettes, camera fee
- Travel Insurance
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
- Visa and Visa application fees
If it becomes necessary to cancel your trip, you must notify the office immediately in writing. The below terms would be applicable.
To factor in the extra-ordinary circumstances that we live in right now, we have amended our cancellation policy to allow customers to easily make changes to their plans if required and have the assurance that their money is protected.
If you notify us about the change in your travel plans at least 21 days before departure date, you can transfer your entire deposit to a different departure in India without any charge.
Please note that the following charges will apply on cancellation:
• If you have paid us a deposit and cancel more than 30 days prior to departure,we will refund the entire amount received by us less service fees of SGD 80.
• If you have paid us a deposit and cancel more than 21 days prior to departure,we will hold the entire amount as a credit towards a future trip in India. You can also transfer it as a deposit for any other departure in India you might want to join at a later date.
• If you have paid in full and cancel 21 days or less prior to departure, we will charge a 50% cancellation fee and hold the remaining 50% as credit towards a future trip in India taken within 1 year from the date of cancellation.
• If the cancellation is due to you having COVID-19/ “flu-like symptoms”, supported by a medical certificate OR due to any travel restrictions imposed by the national or local government we will hold the entire amount paid by you as a credit for a future trip in India. Sometimes last-minute cancellations could attract cancellation fees for third-party arrangements like air, train, or bus tickets; hotels; permit fees, processing fee, etc. Such cancellation charges if any would be borne by the customers.
The tour price is quoted as a package. No partial refunds or credit will be given for services not used. We recommend that you obtain cancellation travel insurance upon booking. If you can replace your spot by getting someone else to take that seat cancellation charges would be waived completely.
Please note that these cancellation terms may be amended from time to time.
It was sure a challenging trek but i enjoyed it nevertheless. Just to let you know the trek we took was Shang valley and pictures are from the trek. Markha valley was closed due to landslide and we were not allowed in. Thanks again n look forward to more adventure with x trekkers.