Be sure that you understand these requirements before purchasing an Exchange Order.
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of “temporary visitor.”
Temporary Visitor entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for “sight-seeing, etc.” If you apply for a “stay for sight-seeing” when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as “Temporary Visitor,” as shown below. *In order to receive or use JAPAN RAIL PASS, your passport must bear this stamp or sticker.
Examples of the “Temporary Visitor” entry status stamp
*If you use an automated gate, no stamp will be applied to your passport. Either use a manned automated gate or ask a clerk to apply the stamp to your passport
NOTE: Even if you visit Japan with an Exchange Order to be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the exchange cannot be made unless you have “Temporary Visitor” status; if you enter Japan under any other official status, such as “Trainee,” “Entertainer,” or “Reentry Permit,” you cannot change the Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, “Temporary Visitor” status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.
(2) You are a Japanese resident living in Singapore who meets the following conditions (Note: This sales applied from 01 June 2017.)
- Written proof of living legally in Singapore for 10 consecutive years or more. [in both Japanese passport and written proof from embassy or legation of Japan in Singapore]
Note: Present the following documentation along with your Japanese passport when you purchase the Exchange Order and when you exchange it for a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
Details of written proof
- Copy of your Singapore Residential Registration issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in Singapore with a date of acceptance at least 10 years earlier
- Certificate of Singapore Residential Registration issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in Singapore with a date of acceptance at least 10 years earlier on which your address (or place of temporary residence) was established as your present address.
A photocopy of the passport is not acceptable to purchase an Exchange Order or to exchange it for a JAPAN RAIL PASS.