Hidden Gem in the Neighbourhood
Travel back in Time
Into the Forest
Explore Singapore’s neighbourhood gems with us!
What you’re in for:
– Discover Singapore’s history by experiencing one of the oldest and most charming housing estates!
Visit Tanglin Halt and gain a deeper appreciation of the evolution of housing in Singapore – from colonial homes steeped in history to contemporary skyscrapers across the island city today. Hear unique stories and discover heartland highlights including the rail corridor. We may even take you on a stroll to the nearby forest!
Take a breather and enjoy a local dessert or drink at a hawker centre, before ending the tour with a skyline view.
Come in hiking attire (including covered shoes) and bring along a hat, sunblock, insect repellent and ponchos for wet weather.
This tour will begin at Commonwealth MRT Exit A and end at Queenstown MRT station.
Hidden Gem in the Neighbourhood
Tour Code: SG-HGN
Min/ Max size: 1/12
Depart Daily: 4pm (subject to availability)
Distance walk: About 6-8 km
Duration: 3 hours
For group of 1-5 pax
Additional pax $50 per pax
- 1 English-speaking tour guide or tour leader (for local residents)
- 3-hours walking tour
- Drink or desert
Not Inclusive Of
- Other personal expenses
- Tipping to guide
Eligibility for SingapoRewards
Enjoy a free experience with your family or friends if everyone meets all 3 conditions below:*
- Entering Singapore as a short-term visitor
- Arriving by flight
- Redeeming a free experience under SingapoRewards for the first time (only one free experience redemption per visitor during the campaign period)
* A single traveller (minimally 18 years of age) can book for themselves, and up to 4 more travellers in their group. Other Terms & Conditions apply. Please view the FAQ for more details.
Redemptions for SingapoRewards are on a first-come first-served basis and subject to availability
Steps to redeem
- Create account – Create or sign in to your Visit Singapore account
- Browse experience – Browse experiences that you are interested in and make a booking
- Verify arrival – Verify your arrival in Singapore to receive your ticket
- Present ticket – Present your ticket at the experience to redeem your SingapoRewards
- If you are unable to make it for your booking, please CANCEL at least 48 hours prior to the experience time.
- Otherwise, you will not be able to reschedule your free experience even if you did not attend.
- Please note that there is only one free experience redemption per visitor.
- Suitable for ages above 5 and below 70.
- This tour may not be suitable for visitors with limited mobility and expectant mothers.
- Food/ drinks offered includes non-Halal and Halal options.
- In the event of poor weather conditions, the tour may be cancelled, and rescheduling will be arranged.
- By signing up for this tour, you agree that you are well enough to participate in the activity. The operator will not be responsible for any injury or damage to any persons or property
- Photos taken during the tour may be used by X-Trekkers for promotional matters.
- Be at the meet up location 10 minutes before the scheduled activity time
- Please arrive on time
- No refunds will be issued for late arrivals and/or no-shows once the activity starts
What to Bring
Caps or hats
1.5L of water
A good pair of walking shoes
Umbrella/ Poncho/ Raincoat
Recommended Attire: Dri-fit tee & long trekking pants
Change of attire if you like to change into dry clothing during meal time
A light shoe/ sandals if you like to change after walk
Personal simple first aid kit like plasters, personal medications.
By joining this event, you are agreeing on the below
- You join this event at your own risk and you are solely responsible for your own health and safety. X-Trekkers will not be held liable for any injury or death arising from participating in this event or for any loss of or damage to your property occurring in the course of this event.
- Photos or videos may be taken by X-Trekkers or other participants that may contain or feature you. You give your permission for materials (e.g. photographs) resulted from this event to be used by X-Trekkers in their promotion, underwriting, public relations materials (e.g. website, brochure, social media, newspaper, etc) to develop their programmes and services. The resulting materials will be the property of the company.
- Strictly non-refunable and no cancellation
- X-Trekkers has the right to use our tour leader if all the participants are local residents.
- If the event is cancelled due to circumstances beyond X-Trekkers’s control (such as thunder storm), including, but not limited to, force majeure events, X-Trekkers will strive to arrange for an alternative date for your consideration, as best as possible.
Where we’ll be
We had a great time and we learned a lot about Singapore
Thank you for the whole arrangement of sightseeing and history sharing, we have learned a lot about Singapore, its past and present. Very happy and special time.
And we will recommend this experience to friends.
Did the Hidden Gem in the Neighborhood Walking Tour last week with our amazing guide, CK. We really enjoyed walking through the neighborhood, and encountering a lot of gems indeed – from the forest trails, to enjoying a drink in iconic Colbar, a glimpse of the rail corridor, and the sky garden viewing deck! We’ve always been curious and fascinated by the housing in Singapore, and this tour was perfect for us! We got to appreciate Singapore in a way that we never would have as just usual tourists. We enjoyed conversing with our guide and got to learn a lot, thank you CK!
Thank you for the nice pics.
It’s a memorable trip that brings pleasure to me.
We thoroughly enjoyed our trek through hidden parts of Queenstown, Singapore. It gave us a rare view of Singapore which could not have been appreciated otherwise.
Joseph, our guide, was really knowledgeable about the history and was passionate about explaining the history of the many buildings we saw. We found him very engaging, knowledgeable and took really time to answer our questions. I would recommend him to my friends. Seeing and hearing the history about black and white houses.
Close to nature and historical facts
All is good and up to expectations.
Generally just looking at the colonial houses and trekking the landmarks along the way. Ching Khee was also a great guide, sharing knowledge along the way and it was easy and enjoyable to listen to.
Seeing parts of Singapore that we never explored in the past.
Unfortunately it started raining heavily just as we started.
CK was super knowledgeable and patient. Really enjoyed the walk despite the bad weather.
Highlights: Being able to visit the b/w houses and also view secret hideouts in the jungle
I enjoyed the walk with a small group. The weather was good and we walked at a leisurely pace. The guide was knowledgeable, engaging and helpful. He brought us to some interesting spots in the route eg Noah’s ark, forest walk, colonial houses. We experienced a bit of rain towards the end but it added to the fun.
Highlights: Going through a forest to get to Noah’s Ark.
Our guide was accommodating throughout the whole event (our request for phototaking and the Q&A throughout the day) . I would say he’s an experienced individual and expert in trekking. He knows the areas well and a very knowledgeable person. Thank you.
It’s a great experience for us, exploring the different part of Queenstown and looking at different angle and perspective. There are more beautiful places that we’ve discovered and admired the beauty of it yesterday.
CK made the trip v interesting for us.
Highlights: Learning about the history of the buildings and walking the various path
Interesting and enlightening. Nice and enjoyable. Places I never knew existed. Also learnt a lot and exposed to many things that I passed by without thinking about. Highly recommend!
Highlights: Visiting the black and white houses and also The Lost Ark.
Down: The rain that cut didn’t allow us to complete the full tour. If able to go into the houses of the black n white homes to take a look would be wonderful or more info about the houses, like any special architectural dimensions or differences from non black n white houses. eg. Why did they choose only black and white? Is it uniquely only done in Singapore? Things like that =))
CK is a friendly guide with keen interest and excellent knowledge about the history of the neighbourhood to make the tour both educational and entertaining. Experience Tanglin Halt before it’s disappearance
Guide Ck is very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. It was an enjoyable trip and hope to join X Trekkers for future tours. Great value, don’t miss it.
It was an unknown place that I would never know and would not be able to go to if it had not been for this trip. It seems that there were many hidden places like an old and historic village. It was a good trip except that it was difficult to walk because the weather was hot~~!! Make sure to bring cool water!!
CK is a very knowledgeable guide and the walk was pretty seamless.
Exploring the “hidden parts” of the forest. It was refreshing to see this side of Singapore.
We went on a guided walk with @xtrekkers for our S.A.D. last weekend and explored the Queenstown area. Undeniably, the highlight was walking through the forest and finding this ‘lost ark’ in the middle of nowhere! Apparently someone had converted this huge fallen trunk over a water body into a chill deck, complete with steps, chairs and even an BBQ pit. Ingenious! ?
We also learned more about Tanglin Halt, Singapore’s first satellite town, trekked briefly along the Green Corridor, soaked in the tranquility at Wessex Estate and gawked at the huge colonial bungalows. Lovely afternoon spent and you can sign up for the walk too with your SingapoReDiscovers vouchers! Just head to globaltix.com to book because they are the only booking partner that are homegrown so #supportlocal ok? ?
Our guide , Ching Khee was patient and answered our questions along the journey. And coz of the rain, he was accommodating to have to extend the journey more than an hour, which we appreciate.
Best Moments? Guess there’s really more than just one — The unexpected sights of old and new brought back some familiar memories for us as we grew up in the neighbourhood. Loved the black & white houses.
Perhaps this is more of a hike than just a casual walk , as there are slopes & mud paths in the less trodden areas.
Maybe guide can share abit more of the history of the black & white houses, & if a visit to the inside of one of them would be great.
Also, if he has pictures on hand on what the rail corridor or some landmark looked like before too, would be adding more substance.