Hokkaido Rail Pass
An economical pass that allows foreign travellers to freely travel Hokkaido by train.
The HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS is a special discounted pass available only to customers visiting Japan (with a short-term visa no longer than 90 days) and holding a non-Japanese passport.
It allows unlimited rides on all JR trains and some designated JR buses within Hokkaido. This allows you to ride trains and buses without having to buy tickets each time. And you don’t have to worry about language barriers.
- There is an extra charge for the sleeping car and carpet car.
- The JR Hokkaido bus routes available to pass holders are limited.
- There is an extra charge for boarding the Twinkle Bus.
Hokkaido Rail Pass – From Purchase to Travel
- Buy your Exchange Order for the HAOKKAIDO RAIL PASS with us before you go to Japan.
- Be sure that you understand the eligibility requirements before purchasing the Exchange Order.
- In the event that you are unable to receive a PASS because you fail to meet the eligibility requirements, the HOKKAIDO RAILWAY COMPANY is not liable for any charges or fees associated with your use of HOKKAIDO RAIL lines while in Japan.
Your Exchange Order will be an e-ticket. Print out a copy that shows the details of the e-ticket (name, reservation number, airline ticket number) and take it with you.
The Exchange Order must be redeemed for a HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS within three months of Exchange Order issuance.
- After you arrive in JAPAN, you have to turn in your Exchange Order (with your passport) to receive your HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS at an exchange location. (Please note the Service hours and closing days.) You cannot use an Exchange Order when you travel on HOKKAIDO RAIL lines.
- You will receive your HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS after confirmation of eligibility.
Redeem your Exchange Orders here:
There is reserved seating on the Limited Express, Express, Rapid Airport, and Sightseeing trains.
Present your Hokkaido Rail Pass at the station ticket counter and state the date, train name and zone you wish to use and a reserved seat ticket will be issued at no extra charge.
When tickets are inspected aboard the train be sure to present both your rail pass and reserved seat ticket to the conductor.
- Please use the free seats when the reserved seats are full
- If you decide to change your seat or train after the reserved seat ticket has been issued, please go to the ticket counter before the departure time.
- If you miss the train with your reserved seat ticket, please take the next train and use the free seating
- Issuance of a reserved seat ticket can only be made after you have exchanged or purchased the Hokkaido Rail Pass. Please understand that reservations for reserved seats cannot be made outside of the country.
- Please go through tickets with staff. Do not use the automatic tickets.
- Your ticket cannot be re-issued. Please take good care of it.
- Only persons with a pass bearing the pass holder’s name can use the pass.
- We are sorry, but no refunds are available for delayed or cancelled trains. We have no responsibility on the arrangement and payment for an alternative transportation or an accommodation, and the payment for a meal.
- Refunds are not available for passes that are already in use.
【How to read reserved seat tickets】
JR East 5 Days Flexi Pass Prices
|JR EAST PASS||Pass Type||Ordinary Car|
|Flexible five-day pass (any five days within 14 days of issuance, including the day of issuance)||Adults|
(12 and older)
(6 to 11)
|22,000 yen||11,000 yen|
- The above are yen (¥) prices for a JR EAST 5 DAYS FLEXI PASS Exchange Order ; the actual cost in local currency is calculated based on the Banker’s Selling Rate (BSR), etc.at the time the Exchange Order is issued. Note that the purchase exchange rate may differ from the exchange rate in effect when you actually visit Japan.
- The local currency price, applicable exchange rate, and issue date for an Exchange Order are specified on the Exchange Order itself.
- Children who are age 6 through 11 as of the date on which the exchange order is issued are eligible for child PASS prices.
- Prices are subject to change. The applicable price is the price valid on the date when an Exchange Order is issued.
- The age limitations for Children is determined by the day of purchase. We may ask for the child’s passport or other proof of age. Children under age 6 do not require a rail pass unless you wish to make seat reservation for them.
- No youth rate (over age 11) or Green Car options are available with this offer.
- While traveling in Japan, each visitor may have one JR EAST PASS at a time. (A new pass may not be purchased if another one is still in use.)
- You can use the pass on any five days within a 14-day period starting with the date of purchase or exchange in Japan.
- You do not have to determine your 5 travel dates at the time of purchase or exchange. For example, if you purchase your pass or get it by exchange on August 1, you can show the pass at a station on any five days between August 1 and August 14 and it will be stamped as valid for use on that day.
JR EAST Valid Train Route
Unlimited travel on local, limited express and express trains including Shinkansen trains on the following rail company lines:
- JR East Lines (including BRT*)
- Izu Kyuko Line
- Hokuetsu Kyuko Railway Hokuhoku Line
- Aoimori Railway
- IGR Iwate Galaxy Railway
- Tokyo Monorail
- Sendai Airport Transit
- Tokyo Waterfront Area Rapid Transit Rinkai Line
- The following limited express trains that directly run between the JR East lines and Tobu Railway lines: the Nikko, the SPACIA Nikko, the Kinugawa, and the SPACIA Kinugawa. Also, the local trains (including rapid trains) between Shimo-imaichi and Tobu-nikko/Kinugawa-onsen Stations.
- Echigo Tokimeki Railway: Naoetsu – Arai
- * Bus rapid transit.
- The JR EAST PASS is not valid for the Hokuriku Shinkansen (between Joetsumyoko and Kanazawa) and the Tokaido Shinkansen (between Tokyo and Nagoya, Kyoto and Osaka) as they are operated by different rail companies.
- The JR EAST PASS is not valid for JR buses.
JR EAST PASS Free Area
JR EAST PASS Train accommodations
The JR EAST PASS is valid on ordinary cars.
To ride on Green Cars, GranClass, individual compartments, Liners or sleeper cars, an additional purchase is required, such as a limited express or sleeper ticket. See the station staff for further details.
Buy JR East 5 Days Flexi Pass Today
Buy today and check on the latest price.