What is Japan Rail Pass?
Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass) is a discount train ticket offered by 6 companies that make up the Japan Railways Group (JR Group), allowing unlimited travel by rail and bus throughout Japan over 7, 14 or 21 consecutive day period in either ordinary or green (first) class seat. It is the most economical and convenient way to travel throughout Japan by train. Please be aware, however, some restrictions may apply. The pass is not valid for “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO”trains on the TOKAIDO & SANYO SHINKANSEN lines.
The Area Pass (or Regional Pass) is also the discount train tickets that cover travel of a particular geographic area of Japan. It can be used for limited area only. The map below shows the area passes differentiated by the coloured areas and to be used within the respective area only. (JR Pass is for nationwide travelling within Japan.)
The Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order must be purchased before your arrival to Japan, and you can change to the Japan Rail Pass when you are in Japan. The pass comes in two types: ordinary and green car. The latter is valid on green cars (first class cars) that offer more spacious seats than ordinary cars.
For enquiries, please contact email@example.com
Enjoy 10% discount for travel gears at X-Boundaries when you purchase Japan Rail Pass with us!
Types of Japan Rail Pass & Prices (Updated 01 Oct 2023)
(Enjoy 10% discount for travel gears at X-Boundaries when you purchase Japan Rail Pass with us!)
There are two types of JAPAN RAIL PASS: Green (for superior-class Green Cars), and Ordinary, Each of these types is available as a 7-day, 14-day, 21-day PASS. See “JAPAN RAIL PASS scope of validity, for services that can be used with a JAPAN RAIL PASS,
Prices of JR Pass in SGD
700 (JPY 70,000)
350 (JPY 35,000)
500 (JPY 50,000)
250 (JPY 25,000)
1100 (JPY 110,000)
550 (JPY 55,000)
800 (JPY 80,000)
400 (JPY 40,000)
1400 (JPY 140,000)
700 (JPY 70,000)
1000 (JPY 100,000)
500 (JPY 50,000)
When purchaseing the JR Pass exchange order, the payment amount will be settled in Singapore Dollars (SGD). The actual cost in SGD is calculated based on the Banker’s Selling Rate (BSR), etc at the time when the Exchange Order is issued.
The price of the child JAPAN RAIL PASS will apply to children age 6 to 11 as of the date of purchase and the issue date of the Exchange Order.
(Prices are subject to change. The prices will be specified at the time of issuance of the Exchange Order.)
- You must meet one of the following conditions to be eligible to purchase the JR Pass. Even if you have purchased the Exchange Order, you will not be able to pick up or exchange the JR Pass if you do not meet the qualifications.
- If you do not meet the usage qualifications due to factors such as insufficient documentation, you will not be able to receive a Japan Rail Pass and X-Trekkers and the JR Group will not be responsible for any transportation expenses incurred during your stay in Japan as a result. PLEASE CONFIRM THAT YOU HAVE ALL THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS PRIOR LEAVING YOUR COUNTRY.
(1) Foreign travelers visiting Japan from a foreign country for sightseeing on a “Temporary Visitor” visa.
Temporary Visitor entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for “sight-seeing, etc.” If you apply for a “stay for sight-seeing” when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as “Temporary Visitor,” as shown below. *In order to receive or use JAPAN RAIL PASS, your passport must bear this stamp or sticker.
Examples of the “Temporary Visitor” entry status stamp
*If you use an automated gate, no stamp will be applied to your passport. Either use a manned automated gate or ask a clerk to apply the stamp to your passport. However, if you have a “registered user card” under the Trusted Traveler Program, you will be required to show the card to confirm the “Temporary Visitor” status.
(2) Japanese resident living in Singapore who meets the following conditions
- Japanese passport
- Written proof obtained from embassy or legation of Japan in Singapore that you have been living legally in Singapore for 10 consecutive years or more.
Note: Present the above documentation along with your original Japanese passport (photocopy not allowed) when you purchase the Exchange Order and when you exchange it for a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
For individuals who possess passports issued by both Japan and Singapore
- Please present your Japanese passport to immigration when entering the entering Singaopore and a documentation verifying your stay in Singapore for 10 or more consecutive years, such as a certificate issued by Singapore government.
HOW TO ORDER
- Make your order online.
- Make your payment after you received your confirmation via email.
- Upon received your payment, we will process your order.
- We will advise you to collect the exchange order within 7 working days or send to your address at additional delivery fees of $4.50.
Please check with us to arrange issue on the spot via email firstname.lastname@example.org or whatsapp 96287591 as we may not entertain walk-in customer without prior arrangement.
Pick-up and exchange
- Buy your Exchange Order for the JAPAN RAIL PASS with us before you go to Japan.
- Be sure that you understand the eligibility requirements before purchasing the Exchange Order.
- In the event that you are unable to receive a PASS because you fail to meet the eligibility requirements, the JR Group is not liable for any charges or fees associated with your use of JR lines while in Japan.
- CURRENTLY WE ARE ONLY ABLE TO ISSUE THE EXCHANGE ORDER IMMEDIATELY ON PRE-BOOKING. PLEASE CHECK WITH US BEFORE DROPPING BY TO PURCHASE.
- We can mail the exchange order to you if you are nor able to collect in our shop at mailing fees of $4.50.
- After you arrive in JAPAN, you have to turn in your Exchange Order (with your passport and a certificate that proves your eligibility for purchase) to receive your JAPAN RAIL PASS at a JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office in a major JR station. Please note the Service hours and closing days. You cannot use an Exchange Order when you travel on JR lines.
- Your Exchange Order must be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS within three months of the date the Order was issued (for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14). *It may take time to turn in your Exchange Order and receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS if the service counter is busy. Please ensure you leave enough time when you visit the exchange office.
- The type of PASS stated on the Exchange Order cannot be changed.
- If you are unable to present the Exchange Order due to loss or theft, a PASS cannot be issued.
- The Exchange Order cannot be exchanged for a PASS if the eligibility requirements are not met.
After turning in your Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, you can make seat reservation at
(1) “Midori-no-madoguchi” Reservation Office or
(2) JR Travel Service Center in the major train stations or
(3) International airports
(4) Reserved Seat ticket machines located at JR stations (Some JR stations do not have a areserved seat ticket machine). See https://japanrailpass.net/use/reserved-seat-reservation/index.html
- There is no additional charge for making seat reservation.
- Seat reservations cannot be made at unmanned stations or stations without reservation capability.
- It may take take to make a seat reservation if the service counter is busy. Please ensure you leave enough time to make your reservation.
- Shinkansen, most limited express and ordinary express trains have reserved Green Car seats and both reserved and non-reserved ordinary car seats.
- A non-reserved seat (except for “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen) can be used with just your JAPAN RAIL PASS. If you like to use the above lines, please use “HIKARI,” “SAKURA,” “KODAMA,” or “TSUBAME” trains. If not, you need to purchase an “[ONLY WITH JAPAN RAIL PASS] NOZOMI MIZUHO Ticket” separately for the corresponding section. When purchasing a ticket for a non-reservered seat in an Ordinary car, be sure to confirm the train has non-reserved seats before making a purchase.
- There are no Green Cars on most “HIKARI” and “KODAMA” trains on the Sanyo Shinkansen line (Shin-Osaka—Hakata), on all Series 800 trains on the Kyushu Shinkansen line and on all “KAMOME” trains on the Nishi Kyushu Shinkansen line
- Some trains have no non-reserved seating (all seats are reserved)
- Use of Liner trains requires additional fees.
- Please note that during crowded periods you cannot be guaranteed a seat on a specific train. The periods when seat reservations are particularly difficult to secure are as follows:
■ April 29 to May 7
■ August 11 to 16
■ December 29 to January 3
- Scope of Validity
- Conditions of use
- Which transport can be used by JR Pass?
- Cancellation & Refund
- Common Questions on JR Pass
- Train accommodations
- Most JR trains have Ordinary Cars (coach class) while many long-distance trains also offer Green Cars (superior class). With a Green-type JR PASS you can use either class, while with an Ordinary JR PASS you can use only Ordinary Cars without paying an additional charge.
- Other information
- When exchanging or purchasing more than one JR PASS to be used by the same person, a JR PASS with overlapping dates may not be purchased.
- Reserved seats may not be booked when they cannot actually be used, such as booking reserved seats on different trains with overlapping train times
- See Nationwide JR Route Map
- How to travel with oversized baggage
- Travel discount information