Mt Gassan Trek
Lift Chair to start point
Weather changes within a few minutes
Mountain Lodge at Mt Gassan still submerge in snow in April
Shrine at summit of Mt Gassan
Mount Gassan and Mount Zao
Mount Gassan (1984m) is the highest of the Three Mountains of Dewa in the ancient province of Dewa. The hiking trail passes through marshland, wild alpine flower fields and patches of snow, even in midsummer. While not particularly steep, the rocky, treeless trail can be challenging due to its exposure. Rain makes the rocks slippery and there is no protection from either strong wind or sun. You can opt to stay a night in the mountain lodge at the summit or just do a day trek to the summit. Staying a night in the mountain lodge will enable you to see the sunrise the next morning if the sky is clear.
Mount Zao is a volcanic mountain range on the prefectural border between Yamagata and Miyagi Prefectures. While most famous for its snow monsters in winter, the area also offers hiking opportunities with spectacular views of the Okama Crater in summer and autumn.
Join us in this 3-4 days trekking tour from Yamagata!
Season: Summer and Autumn
Difficulty: Medium to Difficult
Trekking with the Last Remaining Snow of Mt. Gassan (April – June)
※Targeted for people with snowy mountain hiking experience and the appropriate equipment. Equipment can be rented for free subject to size availability.
|Size||2 pax||3 pax||4 pax||5 pax||6 pax||7 pax or more|
- Accommodation as per itinerary (Pole Pole cottage and Hayamakan deluxe room & mountain lodge for 4 Days itinerary)
- Meals as per itinerary ※not include drink fee
- Using private car
- Entrance fee and experience fee of the spot on the itinerary.
- English speaking guide
- Free rental of crampon if required
- All airfare + taxes
- All Rail Pass not mentioned
- Other transport not mentioned
- All other meals not mentioned
- All other entrance fees not mentioned
- Travel insurance