SG Hike, Eat & Workshop @ Queenstown
Black & White Buildings
A heritage hike as we trace the path from Commonwealth MRT to Queensway Shopping Centre. Discover something new and interesting on the ‘Off-The-Beaten track’ as we visit a lost ark in a forest, see the development of the Old Queenstown, the black & white colonial buildings in the area and enjoy a local cusine (Laksa) and Terrarium Workshop.
1. Old world charm of neighbourhood at Tanglin Halt : visit hawker centre, provision shop, etc
2. Discovery walk at Old Railway Track – Rail Corridor, Black & White Colonial Buildings, Forest Hike
3. Gift Plant Terrarium Workshop
Location: Commonwealth MRT – Queensway Shopping Centre
Departs: Every Wed – Sat (8.30am ~ 1.00 pm)
Distance walk: About 8-12 km
Not suitable for young children. Please come prepared for muddy and steep terrain.
Book with SingapoRediscovers Vouchers
Tour Schedule: This tour is available on every Wed ~ Sat
Total: 4 hour(s) and 30 minute(s)
08:30 Meeting at Commonwealth MRT Exit A
Tanglin Halt Old world charm neighbourhood appreciation, History and transformation, Portsdown Black & White Buildings
09:45 Nature appreciation, History, Historical Mosque, Colonial Terraces @ Rail Corridor – Jalan Hang Jebat, Forest Hike (optional) , Alexandra Hospital
11:00 Enjoy local delicacy Laksa at Queensway Shopping Centre
12:00 Gift Plant Workshop
13:00 Bid farewell and bring home sweet memories and your terrarium plant
The schedule is subject to change depending on traffic and weather conditions on your activity date
Participants must be aged 14+ to participate in this activity.
Group size: 2-8 participant(s)
For young children, please check with us to seek eligibility.
LocalTour Code: SG-HEWQ
- 1 English-speaking tour guide or tour leader (for local residents)
- Mask per person
- 3-hours walking tour
- Terrarium Workshop
- Local Cuisine meal (Laksa or Curry Rice or Chicken Cutlet Rice with Otah & drinks)
Not Inclusive Of
- Other personal expenses
- Tipping for guide
- Go light as the start point and ending point are different
- Coin lockers are not available near the meeting point for storage
- No large suitcases as you will need to carry them on the walk
- Drones not recommended as most area in the walk is under Protected Area
- Avoid alcohol before and on the walk
- All guests must be able to walk at least 10km
- This tour is not recommended for expectant mothers and disabled guests, take extra care when bringing children as they will have to walk for most of the time
- Trail maybe muddy and slippery.
- Expect some steep trail
- You have read and understood the Safe Management Measurements for tours in Singapore
- You will complete the travel & health declaration within 2 days of the event Registration of event online
- Registration of event online
What to Bring
Caps or hats
1.5L of water
A good pair of walking shoes
Umbrella/ Poncho/ Raincoat
Personal ear-piece for audio
Change of attire if you like to change into dry clothing during meal time/ after the tour
A light shoe/ sandals if you like to change during meal time/ after the tour
Personal simple first aid kit like plasters, personal medications.
Meet Up Information
Be at the meet up location 10 minutes before the scheduled activity time
Please arrive on time
No refunds will be issued for late arrivals and/or no-shows once the activity starts
Guide will be holding X-Trekkers placard
Commonwealth MRT Exit
By joining this event, you are agreeing on the below
- You join this event at your own risk and you are solely responsible for your own health and safety. X-Trekkers will not be held liable for any injury or death arising from participating in this event or for any loss of or damage to your property occurring in the course of this event.
- Excluding our tour guide/ X-Trekkers staff, the minimum participant per group is 2 pax and the maximum participant per group is 8 pax. If the minimum group size is not meet, X-Trekkers has the right to reschedule the event to an alternative date, as best as possible.
- Photos or videos may be taken by X-Trekkers or other participants that may contain or feature you. You give your permission for materials (e.g. photographs) resulted from this event to be used by X-Trekkers in their promotion, underwriting, public relations materials (e.g. website, brochure, social media, newspaper, etc) to develop their programmes and services. The resulting materials will be the property of the company.
- Strictly non-refunable and no cancellation
- X-Trekkers has the right to use our tour leader if all the participants are local residents.
- If the event is cancelled due to circumstances beyond X-Trekkers’s control (such as thunder storm), including, but not limited to, force majeure events, X-Trekkers will strive to arrange for an alternative date for your consideration, as best as possible.
CK is a very knowledgeable guide and the walk was pretty seamless.
Exploring the “hidden parts” of the forest. It was refreshing to see this side of Singapore.
We went on a guided walk with @xtrekkers for our S.A.D. last weekend and explored the Queenstown area. Undeniably, the highlight was walking through the forest and finding this ‘lost ark’ in the middle of nowhere! Apparently someone had converted this huge fallen trunk over a water body into a chill deck, complete with steps, chairs and even an BBQ pit. Ingenious! 😆
We also learned more about Tanglin Halt, Singapore’s first satellite town, trekked briefly along the Green Corridor, soaked in the tranquility at Wessex Estate and gawked at the huge colonial bungalows. Lovely afternoon spent and you can sign up for the walk too with your SingapoReDiscovers vouchers! Just head to globaltix.com to book because they are the only booking partner that are homegrown so #supportlocal ok? 😀
Our guide , Ching Khee was patient and answered our questions along the journey. And coz of the rain, he was accommodating to have to extend the journey more than an hour, which we appreciate.
Best Moments? Guess there’s really more than just one — The unexpected sights of old and new brought back some familiar memories for us as we grew up in the neighbourhood. Loved the black & white houses.
Perhaps this is more of a hike than just a casual walk , as there are slopes & mud paths in the less trodden areas.
Maybe guide can share abit more of the history of the black & white houses, & if a visit to the inside of one of them would be great.
Also, if he has pictures on hand on what the rail corridor or some landmark looked like before too, would be adding more substance.