Via Ferrata @ Mount Kinabalu
Duration: 4 days, 3 nights
Malaysia: Mt Kinabalu, Sabah
Cost per person in SGD: fr $ 1030
For group size: 6 & above
Mount Kinabalu, 4,095.2m is the highest mountain in Malaysia. The return trek takes 2 days from Park Headquarters. All types of trekkers from young children to people over 70 years old have climbed up to Low’s Peak. No particular skills or experience is required: the route is suitable for the average, reasonably fit person.
Experienced climbers and novice alike will begin the day’s ascent from Kinabalu Park to Laban Rata at approximately 3,272 meters above sea level. Laban Rata offers climbers hostel accommodation and a restaurant before resuming their climb to the peak the following early morning. Along the trail to the summit, climbers will be amazed with the incredible mountain backdrop of teeth and fangs, gulley, precipice, cliff, plateau, gorge, peak, projectile, points you name it, the mountain has it!
On the descent from summit, experience the excitement of via ferrata @ Mt Kinabalu within a safe and controlled environment. With a proper system of routes, devices and an experienced trainer to guide you, Via Ferrata climbing allows anyone to experience the exciting challenges of this sport under the safest of conditions.
- Level – Difficult 4/5 85% 85%
All climbers should be fit and healthy and have themselves medically checked before attempting any mountain climb. All climbers will be required to meet the Sabah Parks’ minimum health regulation. Sabah Parks indicates that people with the history of heart disease, hypertension, chronic asthma, peptic ulcer, severe anaemia, diabetes, epileptic fits, arthritis, palpitations, hepatitis, muscular cramps, obesity and any other sickness that may be triggered by severe cold, exertion and high altitude is not encouraged to climb the mountain.
JOIN IN DATE
7-10 Sep 23, 26-29 Oct 23, 23-26 Nov 23, 28-31 Dec 23
Itinerary (Subject to changes)
Upon arrival at KKIA, meet our Sabah caretaker and transfer to Kinabalu Park. The journey will take approximately 2 hours and drive through some scenic countryside and breathtaking view of Mountain Range. Stop at Nabalu, a typical roadside market along the way for local handicraft and fruits.
Continue heading to Kinabalu Nature Park (1500m), at the foot of Mt Kinabalu. Enjoy the cool temperature and serene surroundings within the World Heritage site. Check in at Mile36 Lodge near Kinabalu Park for rest before dinner in Lodge.
Overnight twin/triple Room at Mile36 Lodge
After enjoy your morning breakfast and collect your packed lunch, meet our Sabah Caretaker at 7.15am for transfer to Sabah Park. Pre-check in at Mountain Torq’s Kinabalu Park office for verification with photo ID. Head over to Sabah Parks’ Operation Counter for registration and meet your appointed Sabah Parks’ mountain guide.
Arrangement of porter (if any) can be done before the hike. Transfer to Timpohon Gate (1866m) for the trek to Laban Rata. The trail ascends through vegetation change from Oak and Chestnut to mossy forest and eventually to alpine vegetation. The trek will take about 4-6 hours to Laban Rata Resthouse (3272m). Remember to arrive Pendant Hut by 3pm to attend the mandatory via ferrata safety briefing and training session (between 3.00 to 4.00 p.m). There will be NO repeat briefing and NO Via Ferrata on the next day should the guests miss the mandatory briefing.
Enjoy your buffet dinner at Laban Rata Restaurant and sunset before lights out at 8pm.
Overnight Laban Rata Pendant Hut Dorm
At 1.30am, have an early supper and pack up for hike to Low’s Peak for sunrise with Mt guide at around 2.30am. The final ascent to the summit begins very early and takes about 2-3 hours to be on the top for sunrise. When you arrive the summit at Low’s peak (4,095.2m), a great sense of achievements will fill you. After enjoying the sunrise, if you are doing the via ferrata, please descend by 6am in order to reach the meeting point for your Ferrata experience – Walk The Torq 2 hrs or Low’s Peak Circuit 4-5 hrs. Return to Pendant Hut for a well-earned breakfast before continuing on down to park headquarters. Collect your successful certificate and transfer to Kota Kinabalu.
Overnight Kota Kinabalu hotel (3-star)
After breakfast, free at leisure before transfer to airport for your flight departure home.
Price per person in SGD: $ 1090(Based on 6 pax & more. Price is subject to changes)
4D Timpohon Trail Via Ferrata Walk The Torq
CODE: AMH-KKFT_04 WTT
- 3 nights Accommodation as stated
- Meals: 3 breakfast, 1 packed lunch, 2 dinner, 1 early supper
- All transfer in Sabah as per itinerary with English speaking Sabah Caretaker
- Climbing fees. This includes entrance fees, climbing insurance, climbing permit, Mt Kinabalu Guide, Mt Kinabalu certificate for successful climbers only & Via Ferrata certificate for successful climbers only
- 1 Via Ferrata Activity Walk The Torq
- Briefing prior departure
Price excludes: All airfare and taxes, Insurance with medical evacuation (mandatory), Evacuation cost, Personal gears & expenses, Visa if applicable, Tips to guide, All Meals not stated, Other tours not stated in itinerary, Porter’s fees (RM65 per-way for max 10kg), Luggage storage fees (RM 10 per piece), Mountain guide overtime charges (RM 15 per group per hour after 4pm; RM30 per group per hour for arrivals after 5pm onwards), Additional Guide(s) fees if required.
- Deposit Per Person: $500 within 5 working days upon confirm booking of the tour.
- Balance full payment MUST be received at least forty-five (45) days prior to arrival, failing which the Company reserves the right to release all slots for the said confirmed reservation without any or prior notice; Balance payment made is non-refundable upon cancellation.
- Reservations made within 3 weeks of the start date of the selected Itineraries will require 100% payment for confirmation of the selected MT Itineraries within 3 days of the invoice
- The tour is confirmed when the booking fee is paid and X-Trekkers has confirmed the reservation of the selected Itineraries in writing.
- No partial refunds or credit will be given for services not used. In the event of inclement weather where the activity is terminated, there shall be no refund.
- Once purchased, the package is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- No refund/amendment/ replacement of names and dates is allowed once the booking is made.
- Mountain Torq’s Terms and Conditions apply
- All customers will be required to bring their own supply of face masks and will be required to wear it when they are in Pendant Hut, exceptions will be made when they are having meals, drinks, and sleeping.
- Vincent, our driver and minder on the ground was very helpful and responsive.
- Guide for Aki Aki was good and professional.
- Best moments: Summiting! And completely the via Ferrata. Rafting on Padas was exciting but road trip too tedious.
- The briefing notes were sufficient for seasoned hikers. Beginners hikers would need a more thorough briefing on fitness and what to bring and wear.
We had a great time. We were very very blessed with the weather, and made it to the summit and completed the WTT.
Our guides were great and Leroy was very helpful as well. All in all, a very successful expedition. We managed to do everything on time. The weather held out beautifully for us until we completed, before becoming adverse. Personally, I am happy not to have to use the first aid kit we brought, nor call on insurance policies bought. [These days, the only test I care to pass with flying colours is my annual health check, and the only things I like to buy but never use are insurance policies.]
- A nice sunset view from Laban Rata. However the clear skies turned bad next day with heavy downpour in the morning at 5.30am. Water gushed down the rocky surface at the summit made the trail difficult to see. Luckily the experienced guide is there to show the way down.
- The wet wooden steps were slippery for rubber-soled shoes on the way down – and have to take much care to avoid falling down.
- Ponchos would not be useful for strong winds & driving rain – strongly advised to have rain-proof jacket & pants
- Some climbers are very irresponsible on what they are doing, and that makes a trek not safe at all. I think we should teach them the basics of mountaineering. (mountaineering ethics)
- Best moment of the trip: Summit
- Moment you least enjoyed: i dont remember any except for the rainy weather when we arrived.
- Experience: bravo!
- Best moment of the trip: When we managed to reached the summit.
- Moment you least enjoyed: The last 6km of the descent.
- Experience: Fantastic
Upon reaching the summit and descending via ferrata. Felt it was the greatest achievement of my life.
- Mr Donnie Benedict is very helpful and knowledgeable.
- Not aware of the final summit climb high altitude reaction, might not be suitable people with asthmatic or heart problems.
- Watching sunrise at the peak.
- Raining on the way up and down.
- Physical training is a must. and if there’s such thing as training for the thinning air, one should do it.
- The trek to summit is very challenging where every 20 steps is challenging after the sayat sayat (or even before).
- Leaving Pendant hut at 2:30 am is sufficient. But if one can leave at 2 am, better, so you can get a good spot at the summit as it gets crowded.
- LPC! The thrill is just amazing.
You May Also Like
Mount Kinabalu, 4,095.2m is the highest mountain in Malaysia. It is also the highest mountain in the whole of Borneo, and the region between the Himalayas and the snow mountains of New Guinea.
The return trek takes 2 days from Park Headquarters. All types of trekkers from young children to people over 70 years old have climbed up to Low’s Peak. No particular skills or experience is required: the route is suitable for the average, reasonably fit person.
DATE: (Dates are tentative. Subject to availability)
21-24 Jan 2023, 11-14 Feb 2023, 4-7 Mar 2023, 6-9 Apr 2023, 29 Jun – 02 July 2023, 5-8 Aug 2023, 2-5 Sep 2023